If there is one tool you take away from the first Live a Brighter Life class, this is the one to keep close at hand, and use as often as needed. Indrani calls it Going to the Movies:
- Choose a person in your life you have not been able to stand up to.
- Imagine this person crossing one or more of your personal boundaries.
- Do nothing but observe yourself in this situation. Watch as if you are at the movies, watching someone who looks like you and acts like you.
- Notice what this character is doing while the boundary is being broken. How are they standing or sitting? What are they doing with their hands, eyes, mouth?
- Now notice what the character is thinking and feeling. What thoughts are running through their head? What emotions are they feeling?
Now grab a piece of paper, a word document, or your journal and answer these questions:
- What are the personal boundaries being crossed?
- How are you reacting to these boundaries being crossed?
- What are you communicating non-verbally and verbally? What are you holding inside?
- You are the director and script writer of your life: after watching your “film”, what new role would you like to play?
Share your answers to these questions in the comments section below and we can work together to find your new role in the next movie