We are now opening enrollment for the 2018 Online Train-the-Trainer Course!
The online course will be held every Tuesday starting on October 2nd at 11am – 12:30pm PST, and will end on Tuesday, November 13, 2018.
The course is FREE of charge this year! We have charged for the online course in the past, but will be offering the class free of charge for our dedicated volunteers this year. We just ask for your sincere commitment and dedication to the program, and your intention to attend all of the classes offered.
A Little History
In 2006, due to evidence-based social science about domestic and gender-based violence, the ‘Live a Brighter Life’ curriculum was created by the Indrani’s Light Foundation (ILF) as a tool to help people combat bullying, power games, emotional abuse, domestic and gender-based violence. The individuals who’ve participated have been mothers, fathers, doctors, teachers, business people, CEOs, law enforcement veterans, spouses, both homeless and wealthy, abusers, survivors and more.
In 2015, our Founder, Indrani Goradia, began having discussions with domestic violence shelter administrators about their daily challenges within their organizations, and how ILF could help. What was clearly evident was that they were faced with a high volume of staff turnover rates, and staff members suffering from compassion fatigue and burnout.
Indrani went into immediate action! She directed our team to develop a project that focused our curriculum to Domestic Violence shelter staff members. And so we did!
We created the Caregiver Project.
The Caregiver Project is a unique, evidence-based, specialized, and completely FREE training curriculum designed for staff members who work in organizations that have direct contact with domestic violence survivors. This training comes straight from the “Live A Brighter Life” curriculum and has been modified to focus on teaching caregivers the tools they need for healthier boundaries, improved relationships, professional development, and offering new solutions to deal with compassion fatigue and burnout. The project mission is to support these caregivers in maintaining the energy and passion they need to serve the survivors and children in their care.
We need more volunteer trainers!
Due to the increased demand and success of the Caregiver project, we need additional volunteer trainers around the United States and Canada to travel and co-teach with the master trainers.
ALL travel expenses are paid by ILF, so you can focus on volunteering your time.
About the Online Train-the-Trainer Course:
During this 7-session weekly training, the 6 modules will be taught to a new generation of trainers who, upon graduation from both the training and practicum portions of the program, will be able to:
- Integrate the lessons more fully into their own lives, studying and applying at a greater depth that lasts and evolves;
- Apply to travel to domestic violence shelters, and co-teach with the master trainers;
- Become a Certified Trainer for ILF;
- Generate the stories from their own lives that will breathe life into the curriculum when they are in front of the room;
- Apply to become a Master Trainer for Indrani’s Light Foundation, and teach the Caregiver Project curriculum at the DV shelters in your own community;
Before Registering to Join Us
If you haven’t studied them already, please note the 6 modules of the Live A Brighter Life Program are prerequisites for entering the Train the Trainer Program on this page.
Recordings totalling 12 hours are available free of charge.
The specific modules cover:
Module #1: Setting Boundaries: Define Your Personal Space
Module #2: Saying No: Say ‘Yes’ to a New Way
Module #3: Letting Go: Uncover Your Self-Respect
Module #4: Finding Resilience: Uncover Your Self-Compassion
Module #5: Restoring Self: Stand in Your Divine Power
Module #6: Being Present: Reclaim Yourself Physically and Emotionally
(You can listen to all of the Live a Brighter Life class recordings on the Caregiver Resource Page indranislight.org/caregiver-resources/)
Each recording is approximately 2 hours in length. These modules are what you will be learning to teach during the Train the Trainer program and stand as an example to learn from. If you’ve listened to them before, you may find it of value to listen again through the lens of this question: “What do I need in order to teach this class well?’ Interactive and experiential, sessions incorporate intellectual teaching, thought-provoking exercises, and simple yoga and meditation.
The ILF Team is dedicated to our focused mission of the Caregiver Project, and the personal and professional development of each of our volunteer trainers and the caregivers who experience our training curriculum.
Sign up to Join the Train-the-Trainer Class Now! We start October 2nd 2018
How the Online Train the Trainer (TTT) will work
WHO: A maximun of 15 individuals who have previously studied the Live a Brighter Life Program and have an interest in furthering the cause of eradicating violence in the world.
WHAT: The training will be hands-on, multisensory and experiential, as well as highly personal, possibly intense and confrontative, but always safe and supported. Led by by Jeremie Miller and Amy Dier, Directors of Outreach and Training at ILF. Pre-event assignments and post-event reviews are included in this registration.
WHERE: In our online classroom, accessible by US telephone number and webcam along with interactive chat. Long distance telephone charges may apply.
WHEN: Every Tuesday from 11am – 1230pm starting October 2nd 2018
HOW: You will be asked to sign a confidentiality waiver and media release, as the proceedings will be recorded for future training purposes. For comfort, we encourage you to go on a first-name basis when sharing or teaching during the live workshop.
The Working Agenda – The following topics will be covered
- The structure and flow of the Live a Brighter Life Program from a teaching perspective
- The student demographic varies, but what do they have in common?
- Baseline practice – Where are you now, what are you comfortable with and what’s NOT comfortable?
- Teaching by Example – What stories in your life will become your teaching stories? How to choose, choosing, and practicing. (Icebreaker)
- The Biggest Pitfalls – When things go off track and why, includes hands-on exercises
- The Toughest Questions – Anger and you, safety as teachers, where you draw the line and how, including hands-on exercises
- Practice sessions with supervision and peer support
- Your Strengths and Weaknesses as teacher
- Using the Body, Mind and Spirit in the classroom
- Journalling and reflection
- Indrani’s Story – the history, underpinnings and values of the Indrani’s Light Foundation
- The first students of Live a Brighter Life and their stories
- The Biggest Opportunities – How much is enough, how much is too much
- Confidentiality, Administration, Management, Reporting
- Practice sessions with supervision and peer support
- Where can YOU live a brighter life, to become a better teacher
- Building relationships with shelters and other organizations to lead LABL
- Fundraising and the greater benefit and bigger picture of the ILF mission, what the future holds
- Final practice session with supervision and peer support
- Journalling and reflection
Topics and order of topics subject to change. Teacher Training materials, including recordings, will be provided for further review.
Question: I’m interested in teaching for ILF. What will that entail?
Answer: Thank you so much for your interest! We are currently creating the opportunities to bring on Team Teachers. Please note that due to the liability and risk involved in bringing on teachers under our name, there will be further steps required in addition to the training above. All future teachers will be required to attend the online TTT outlined above. The opportunities and requirements for teaching for ILF will be further developed from there.
Thank you for understanding that we are building as we go in the face of demand. We appreciate your patience. Please note that there is not an anticipated cash compensation associated with possible Team Teacher positions.
Question: Even if I don’t go ahead with becoming an ILF Team Teacher, can I still use the material to teach?
Answer: Yes, the Live a Brighter Life modules are licensed under Creative Commons which means we are granting you the ability to teach the modules as is, without changes, with attribution to ILF and at no cost to your students. Once you’ve finished the 8-sessions with us, you’ll be equipped to do this.
Question: I’m very fascinated by the work of Indrani’s Light Foundation and find it inspiring. Will I learn more about this at the workshop?
Answer: YES. There is a lot of ripe learning in the story of how things are unfolding for ILF right now. The TTT is the perfect place for us to share what’s happening, why, and hopefully transmit some of that wisdom to your mission in life AND give you more teaching material.
Question: I’m a man and I’m very interested in the training. Am I welcome?
Answer: No holds barred, YES. In fact, you will not be alone at the workshop – we welcome men and women with no preconceptions and extend the same safety, respect and honor for your desire to make the world a better place beginning with you.